Thursday, April 21, 2011

30 days of work in the home


Sow your seed in the morning and do not be idle in the evening, for you do not know whether morning or evening sowing will succeed, or whether both of them alike will be good. Ecclesiastes 11:6

Today, I used this same scripture in my post about finances at A Merry Rose.
The more I pondered this scripture, the more I realized how much wisdom it contains. It certainly applies to work, especially to our work in the home.

Here are some things that this speaks to me:

1) Don't slack off in my work. Sometimes, I will make a good start and run out of steam. Other times, I will take too long really getting going. Working steadily all day long, allowing for some healthful breaks, is the most productive things to do.
2) Obviously, this speaks to not putting all of your financial eggs in one project or one endeavor. Or, to quote an old-fashioned non-Biblical proverb, "Don't put all of your eggs into one basket." We don't know which of our projects or investments will succeed, and we need to have a diversified financial strategy.
3) In terms of time, we are to have an over-arching, unifying purpose to our lives. For the disciple of Jesus, the overall mission of our earthly years begins and ends in Christ. However, under that umbrella of the overall purpose, we need to be faithful in a number of responsibilities. It's not wise to concentrate on one area of our life and neglect the others. There are parts of my work that I enjoy more than others. Yet all of it is important and must be done.
4) We shouldn't get discouraged if we try a project and it doesn't work out as we planned. Most of our efforts will be fruitful, but some will not. Perhaps, we will make a mistake while sewing and have to rip out seams and start all over. Or, we plant a garden, and hail comes. We must be thankful for things that do succeed.
5) We do well to commit all of our labor to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment